21st Century Teaching: Competence-Based Education, Soft-Skills and Creativity
This training will focus on competence-based education, soft-skills development and creativity. Participants will explore issues and practical ideas connected to problem-solving, cooperation, communication, critical and creative thinking. They will also consider the delicate issue of assessment and will be provided with tools suitable to evaluate complex tasks and high-order skills. By the end of
the course, participants will enjoy having a set of concrete ideas on how to integrate new approaches into lessons and they will be inspired to apply new strategies to boost high-order skills in their students, as well as to develop visual and creative competences.
The course will help the participants to:
– Develop soft skills (communication, problem-solving, decision making, teamwork, adaptability, critical thinking, and creativity);
– Improve their knowledge about students’ learning styles and ability to plan the classes according to them;
– Understand: mapping techniques, visual thinking, visual teaching strategies, creative thinking;
– Search, adapt and manipulate visual resources as a way to develop high-order skills;
– Plan the lessons using innovative methods;
– Choose practical solutions to encourage students to solve problems, formulate complex questions, debate, explain and brainstorm during class;
– Manage and evaluate team-work while students are involved in cooperative projects and problem-solving tasks;
– Support students in facing challenges and in learning by doing;
– Evaluate complex competences: teacher-, peer- and auto-assessment.
1) Day 1 – Course introduction and setting goals
– Course introduction
– Introduction to the course, the school, and the external week activities;
– Icebreaker activities using drama for trust and ensemble building.
– Setting goals
– Identification of needs and goals for each participant and relevant populations;
– The past, the present, the future: society, individuals, old and new needs;
– Presentations of the participants’ schools.
2) Day 2 – Learning styles
– Key Competences in Schools and Learning Styles.
3) Day 3 – Critical thinking
– Supporting problem-solving, cooperation, communication, reasoning and arguing in evidence, critical thinking.
4) Day 4 – Applying approaches
– Applying student-centered approaches to different subjects;
– Case studies and examples across Europe;
– Managing pair and group work.
5) Day 5 – Student evaluation
– Assessment: are marks threatening for students?
– Evaluating students: teacher-, peer- and auto assessment;
– Providing feedback.
6) Day 6 (SATURDAY) – Round up and Cultural activities
– Round up of acquired competences, feedback, and discussion;
– Excursion and other external cultural activities.
7) Day 7 (SUNDAY) – Rest day
– Day off.
8) Day 8 – Get creative
– Motivation and Serious Games;
– Creative Thinking and Mapping.
9) Day 9 – New strategies
– New Methologies in Teaching Student centered tasks.
10) Day 10 – Visual materials
– Visual Resources in Education: VTS;
– Looking for online visual materials: Google, Youtube, Wordclouds.
11) Day 11 – Assessment types
– Managing pair and group work;
– Types of Assessment (teacher, p2p, self);
– Portfolios and online tools.
12) Day 12 – Presentations and course closure
– Presenting and evaluating presentations;
– Course evaluation: round up of acquired competences, feedback, and discussion;
– Awarding of the course Certificate of Attendance.
– Language Teachers (primary, secondary, vocational, adult, special needs)
– Language teacher trainers
– Careers officers
– Educational guides and counsellors
– Headteachers and principals
– Managers of schools/organisations offering language education.
– Activities: all courses include at least one guided city tour and one full-day excursion (usually on Saturday).
– Certificate: all our courses guarantee a Certificate of Attendance if 80% of the lessons will be attended.
– Lessons: classes take place in the Morning (9:00 – 13:45) or in the Afternoon (14:00 – 18:45).
– Platform: participants will have free access to our e-learning platform.